Monday, August 20, 2012

Mori Avec Banan et Legumes

Many enjoy having a hearty breakfast which can include bacon or sausage, eggs and home fries, but perhaps you or someone you know are interested in a healthy alternative; well here is an idea.

Cod fish and plantains. It was one of those meals my grandmother used to make all the time. We Haitians refer to it as mori avec banan. Whenever she would come from Haiti, the first scent of the morning was of that meal and it smelled pretty good. Tasted good too.

I was prompted to make it for breakfast this morning. For one, yesterday I did not eat much. I had fruit for breakfast, a yogurt at lunch and that was it for the day. I woke up hungry. I felt as if some type of protein was appropriate to start my morning off.

That meal my grandmother used to cook when she came here to the states seemed so appropriate. Of course stubborn me always adds me into recipes, so it is never exactly the way it is dictated to me and yet most of the time seems to come out good. What I did differently was added some vegetables to it. Let's refer to these vegetables as legumes.
Mori avec Banan et legumes does not take long to make, has much less fat than bacon, eggs and home fries, and tastes good. So here is the recipe.

 Mori Avec Banan et Legumes

2 Pieces of boneless codfish (bacalao)
1/2 bulb of red onion
1 green plantain
1 tomato
Handful of mushrooms
Handful of radishes
Curry powder
Olive oil

1.    Slice the sides of the peel of the plantain and place the plantain in a medium sized pot filled with water and set it to boil. Let it boil for about 20 minutes. For faster preparation, instead of setting to boil, place the plantain in the microwave and allow it to bake for 5 minutes.

2.    Place the pieces of codfish in a pan filled with water and set it to boil. Remove the water from the pot and add more water to the codfish setting it to boil. Do this about three times, each time draining the water and removing salt.

3.    Dice the tomatoes and red onions, place it in a bowl and sprinkle it with curry powder. Add the mushrooms. Dice the radishes and add them to the mixture

4.    Take a large sauce pan and add olive oil and place over a medium fire. Add the mixture and let simmer.  Slice the plantain and add it to the vegetables simmering.  Add the codfish and mix with a spoon.  

This is a quick and easy meal that which if boiling the plantain will take about thirty minutes and if doing the quick preparation, will take 15.  Serves about two people. Fast to make even on those busy, got out of bed late and have to rush to get myself together for work days. What a way to have breakfast; homestyle is always the best.
Bon Apetite!!!

2 comments:

  1. Yummy! I'm not a fish eater (I should be), but that looks down-right GOOD!

    Happy seeing beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used to not be a fish person but now I enjoy the taste and benefits of having it. For one it tastes great.. But also, it is good for you. I would choose salmon or bacalao over meat any day.

      Delete

Share