Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Something Green for the Big Apple Crunch


Day four’s photo challenge was to take a picture of something green.

 

A big, juicy green apple that looks as delicious as it tasted. Though there are other colors added to this photo it is a display of an array of apples taken today because I was one of the many New Yorkers who joined in the crunching of a healthy delicious apple for the Big Apple crunch today.

According the NYC.gov, on food day which was today, October 24, 2012, a world record was trying to be set by having the most participants in an Apple-Crunching Event.  Many different organizations took part in this event and a plethora of people in New York were all crunching on a healthy snack at the same time and in the same city.

It has been said that an apple a day keeps the doctors away. I am guessing that was one of the aims of the Big Apple Crunch today; to get people all over New York eating healthy. I mean what is healthier than an apple?

For one, it can satisfy a portion of one’s daily fruit intake. It is packed with Vitamins A and C which the body needs.  It can be eaten as a snack or even as part of a meal which in turn can help to lower cholesterol. Apples keep your blood sugar levels good.  It can actually give someone energy. It is an antioxidant which can help to prevent cancer. Eating apples can help someone to lose weight. 
 
I think eating healthy period is helpful. If not an apple, how about a pear, or an apricot. How about truly controlling portions and not eating in excess or having things that we know we ought not.  Let's not go for the biggest tub of popcorn with all the butter we can add just because it is available to us.
Why are we going for seconds when the firsts in our plates should be enough to satisfy our needs?  How is it that some people can eat one meal a day because they have no choice and seem okay but if we miss one of our many meals, it seems almost as if we had not eaten a thing all day?  I still cannot figure out the answer to that but I think in many ways, we allow food to have control over us when we can take control back by adding good, healthy and satisfying foods to our diet that can both nourish and benefit our lives.

Over the past few months, I have learned that eating healthy could truly benefit my life.  I can admit to living a life of eating unhealthy and never thinking about my own health. But one thing I began to realize was that as we start to get older, our bodies are not able to handle the same things anymore. I would rather change my eating habits for my own self as opposed to hearing a doctor telling me I have to change my eating habits because of an illness.  That is what eating healthy can do for you. That is what trading in the beef jerky or bag of greasy potato chips for an apple can do for you. 

Here are some additional articles on the topic of apples that you might find interesting.
 
Big Apple Crunch Big Apple Crunch




No comments:

Post a Comment

Share