Saturday, November 3, 2012

Breakfast Idea: Quinoa with Bacon, Almonds and Veggies


Quinoa has become one of my favorite foods and so, I have been trying new things with it in order to have a variety of options when cooking it.

Experimenting has been my thing lately, trying different dishes with ingredients that are new to me or that I’ve tried before but never thought of using it in that manner.  I have been cooking on a daily basis unless the occasion calls for it so that I can know exactly what ingredients are being used and to keep my meals a little more on the healthy side.

As I was browsing through Pinterest the other night, I came across the site Kitchen Daily which featured a recipe for Bacon Quinoa with almonds and herbs. Here is the site with the recipe: http://www.kitchendaily.com/recipe/bacon-quinoa-with-almonds-and-herbs-148752

I liked the idea of what was used to make it but wanted to improvise a bit. I’ve never been one to stick to recipes because I always have other ideas in mind when it comes to cooking; especially for the sake of adding a few healthier ingredients. And that is how I came up with my new breakfast recipe:

Quinoa with bacon, almonds and vegetables
 

Serving size 1

Preparation time 30 minutes

Calories 547

 
Ingredients

1 cup of organic whole grain quinoa

3 slices of bacon

A handful of almonds

1 tsp. garlic powder

1 tbsp. fresh thyme

1 tbsp. black pearl sliced jalapeno black olives

1 tbsp. sliced mushrooms

1 tsp. salt

1 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil

1 ½ oz. or a shot of Bartenura’s Pinot Grigio or any white wine or cooking wine

 

Instructions

1.    Take the almonds, place them in a baking pan and put them in the oven at 350 degrees temperature for about 15 minutes until toasted.
 
 

2.    Place bacon in a baking sheet and bake it in the oven until crispy.

Take a medium pot and put about two cups of water, pinot grigio, olive oil, salt, garlic, black olives and mushrooms and place mixture over a medium fire. Once the water boils, add quinoa.

3.    Continue to stir quinoa to keep from sticking to the bottom of pot until the grain softens.

4.    Take the toasted almonds out of the oven and add it to the quinoa.

5.    Add thyme.

6.    Take crispy bacon out of the oven, cut the slices into bite size pieces and place the bacon in the quinoa mixture.

7.    Continue to stir mixture until all water dissolves.

8.    Turn off fire and let cool.

9.    Pairs well with tea.

The dish had a really nice taste. I am not big on meat, keeping my consumption of it less than once a week, but every once in a while, this would not be such a bad breakfast meal to make.

It has been said that breakfast is meant to be the biggest meal of the day so that it can sustain you and keep you satisfied for a long time without having to eat another large meal in the span of your day.  Quinoa with bacon, almonds and veggies will do just that. If you have a light lunch and a smaller meal for dinner, this breakfast idea will fit in just right to keeping that low calorie diet you have been trying to maintain. It is not solely about eating healthy but also portion control and not overdoing it because then you can eat anything you want to and not have to worry about gaining weight; even bacon.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Share