Sunday, February 10, 2013

Carrot Parmesan


So you go into a pizza shop and you see on the menu Chicken Parmesan and the alternative for non-meat eaters is usually eggplant parmesan, but why no other vegetable?

Okay, I admit that eggplant might be tasty with pasta but I think other vegetables would be just the same.  This is why I decided to try it.   I used carrots.  My carrot parmesan was quick to make and came out pretty tasty.  Here is the recipe:
 
Carrot Parmesan

Serving size 2

Calories per serving 80

Sodium 232 mg

Cholesterol 10 mg

Protein 5.5 g

Cooking time 15 minutes

 

Ingredients

2/3 Cup Frozen Small Crinkle Sliced Carrots

¼ Cup Organic Parmesan Shredded Cheese

¼ Cup Crushed Tomatoes with Basil

1/3 Cup water

Instructions

1.    In a small pan, add water and carrots. Leave it over a medium fire until the carrots have defrosted and the carrots are soft

2.    Sprinkle parmesan cheese over carrots and allow to melt

3.    Cover carrots and the cheese with the crushed tomatoes and just allow to get warm

4.    Your dish is now ready to be served

I didn’t have it with pasta or in a sandwich like many chicken or eggplant parmesan dishes are served, though I have tested carrots with spaghetti before and it was not a bad combination. I kept my Carrot parmesan as the main dish and instead had other vegetable dishes to keep it more on the healthier side. My sides included garlic sautéed potatoes and steamed vegetables. 
The whole entire concoction was great. A light meal for dinner that also had a fair share of protein, fat and low sodium count; healthy and delicious. Try it for yourself!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Share