Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Slow Cooker Quinoa Shrimp chili


I’m all into this cooking with quinoa bit now and one of the things on my to-do list all the time is to find a new and exciting way to cook it; which is why I was tempted to make a dish with it using my slow cooker.

I have experimented different quinoa recipes.  I heard so many people talking about snacks or foods for the big game. Then I heard someone say that one of their menu items was going to be chili. I have always wanted to make chili but a vegetarian version of it. That’s when I decided to make Quinoa chili for the big game; not a vegetarian chili though, a pescatarian one.

I am so used to adding black beans to my quinoa that it seems like second nature. Who knew adding that plus a few more items to it, including shrimp would make it so delicious? I know what you are thinking, shrimp in a chili dish. Sounds a little odd but it came out excellent; so good that I will be making this dish more often.  Here is the recipe!


Slow Cooker Quinoa Shrimp chili
 
 

Serving Size 4

Calories per Serving 441

Cooking Time 4-5 hours in the slow cooker

Ingredients

1 Cup Quinoa
1 Medium Tomato
¼ Cup of Crushed Tomato Canned
 ½ Onion
1 Garlic Clove
1 Can Sweet or Creamed Corn
½ Can of Black Beans
½ cup chopped Green Pepper
1 Cup White Cooked Shrimp – Peeled
1 Tbsp Cayenne Pepper
1 Tsp Cumin
1 Tsp Crushed Red Pepper Flakes
½ Tsp Black Pepper corn
¼ Tsp Lawry’s Seasoned Salt
2 ½ Cups Water
1 Cup of Shredded Sharp Cheddar Cheese (Separate by ¼ Cups Each)

 

Instructions

1.    In the Slow Cooker Dish, Add Quinoa, Black Beans, Green Pepper, Tomatoes, Crushed Tomatoes,  Corn, Onion, Garlic, Red Pepper Flakes, Salt, Pepper Corn, Cayenne Pepper, Cumin and Water.

2.    Put the Slow Cooker on High and cover to allow to cook.
 
 

3.    In about two hours, take shrimp, place it in a mortar and mash them up until they are in small broken little pieces and add them to the slow cooker.

4.    Stir to make sure that the quinoa or beans are not sticking to the bottom of the dish.

5.    In about two to three hours later, your quinoa is ready to be served.

6.    For each serving, take ¼ cup of the cheddar cheese and sprinkle over each serving of chili while it is hot to ensure that it will melt nicely over your meal.
 



Slow Cooker Quinoa Shrimp Chili is a complete meal in one plate. I got a little greedy though and had mine with Garlic Mashed Cauliflower and Zucchini chips; not because it needed a side but because I knew I was going to need something to be able to stomach the 109 yards goal taken by the Ravens'  Jacoby Jones immediately after one of the best ever halftime shows featuring Beyonce, that helped the Ravens later take home the title.

Either way it was a healthy dish and one that I thought was worth sharing. Best eaten when hot! Great dish for cold days because it is hot and spicy. If you decide to try it, I hope you enjoy it.  

No comments:

Post a Comment