Thursday, February 16, 2017

Slow Cooker Lentil Soup

With good intentions, I wanted to make something warm and hearty for my family to enjoy during the day so that whenever they felt the urge to have something good to eat, they could. And so, I decided to prepare some slow cooker lentil soup and what a great idea that was.

I learned a memorable lesson which I will share with you if you are interested in making fresh lentil soup from scratch. If you are going to use dry beans, it will take about 8 hours or more in your slow cooker, even on high heat, so if you have a veracious hunger to eat now, then don’t try it in your slow cooker and instead, cook it stove top. But if you want a meal that is bursting with flavor that you do not have to be watching over all day while it slow cooks, then this might be for you.

Here is the recipe:

Recipe

Slow Cooker Lentil Soup
Cooking Time 8.5 Hours on high heat/ 10 hours on low heat


Ingredients

Two 32 Oz Vegetable Broth
½ Cup Dried Lentil Beans
½ Cup Dried Red Lentil Beans
Two Carrot Sticks, diced
Two Celery Ribs, diced
One clove of garlic
½ can of plum or diced tomatoes [optional]
A Dash of Turmeric Powder
A Dash of Italian Flavoring
A Dash of seasoned Salt
2 Tbsp of butter
One TBSP Apple Cider Vinegar

Directions

1. Add Broth, Dry Lentils, Garlic, Italian Seasoning, Turmeric, and salt into slow cooker. Put slow cooker on high and cover it.


2. About four hours later, add diced carrots, celery, tomatoes, butter and vinegar, and continue to cook lentils on high for four hours or until lentil beans are tender.


3. Serve hot. Nicely pairs with warm Italian bread.

What I love about slow cookers is how the flavor just bursts and how the aroma just takes over the house and makes you look forward to the meal that you will soon be able to have. I also like that you can keep your crockpot on warm without it cooking so that you do not have to feel obligated to nuke it in the microwave. The preparation time is short but the cooking time though lengthy, is worth it considering the final product.

Some Things to Consider If Using This Recipe

I chose vegetable broth for taste and because there was not meat in the recipe but if you like chicken broth, beef broth or even water, might work better for you; so use that. I love tomatoes and so I add it to everything that I cook, but it is not necessary to add to the recipe though I feel that it adds to the flavor and I love it.  

Lentil soup is perfect for a cold, winter day and at any time of day for any meal. Enjoy it hot and feel the heartiness all over your senses. 

1 comment:

  1. These look seriously delicious!! I can't wait to give this recipe a try!!

    ReplyDelete

Share